Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New, new, new, new, new, new, new....

gran's loose change welcomed a new jewellery designer to the family this week. We are excited to introducing two awesome styles of rings by Smoke and Mirrors. Preorder only, make sure you get in quick as there is limited availability!

I chatted to the designer Aju Mathew earlier this week...


Who is Aju Mathew?
I am Indian born, Kiwi bred. I am a Wellingtonian who is an industrial designer by study and a jewellery designer by trade.
Originally from Gisborne but have been living in Wellington for the last 8 years.

What do you do?
I design and make jewellery, mostly fine jewellery but am branching out with contemporary pieces to create a jewellery collection.

What would you ideally like to do?
Travel the world and design stuff while I am doing it. I work off my laptop so this is definitely possible!

Places you've travelled?
Backpacked across India.

Definitely more travelling on the cards.

What inspires you?
I look to nature and the things I observe in every day life for inspiration.

Where will you be in the next five years?
Hopefully travelling the world and making jewellery while I am doing it!

Fave blogs:
Inhabitat (green design blog, comes up with some wicked stuff)
Core 77 (popular industrial design blog)
All Jewellery Designers

There are far too many to list!!

Fave designers:
Far too many to list. The ones who currently inspire me are the following :
Feng Zhu is an awesome concept artist/industrial designer.
Carolyn Tyler - South Pacific Jewellery designer

Best advice you've ever been given?
Design is never about you but always about others.

Things you couldn't live without?
My awesome mates and girlfriend. And probably my laptop.

Words of wisdom for gran's loose change customers?
Buy my rings?

A bird in your hand is worth two in the bush?

Could go on all day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!...