Wednesday, June 29, 2011

There's no such thing as too many shoes...

As published on www.fashionz.co.nz

I stopped in to visit my darling mum at work the other day and we discussed the two things in life you should always spend money on. Good beds and good shoes. My mum works for Beds R Us so the bed situation is sorted and as for shoes, well a woman can never have too many and my first stop is always Chaos & Harmony.

Chaos & Harmony launched in 2008 and quickly became one of New Zealand's favourite shoe brands. The obsessive passion for shoes developed early for Lead Designer and Managing Director, Rebecca Anderson. In order to transform this love into an art form she pursued study at the Instituto Europeo di Design in Rome, Italy. Upon her return, Rebecca collaborated with long-time friend and colleague, Renee Ryland, to form the now well established brand. They are now into their sixth season and just keep getting better and better.

I chatted with Beks about inspiration, drive and all things shoes.

How long have you been designing shoes?

Since 2006 - so coming up five years.

Was this always your childhood dream?

It wasn't always as specific as being a shoe designer, but I definitely had a shoe obsession at a young age. At one stage I wanted to be a shoe buyer, so the shoe theme has always been strong!

Where did you study?

I studied at IED - Istituto Europeo di Design in beautiful Roma, Italia.

How did this location influence your designs?

I loved Europe and the strength of style, so our designs are definitely something we look at and ask ourselves, how would these sit on an international platform?

How do you get into the 'zone' when you design?

Oh the zone, it's always a novel experience and different each time, sometimes it's being locked away, sometimes it's in a cafe. I often travel up to the Coromandel and stay, just to be away from the phone/email/Facebook/Twitter :)

I find that if we have a strong inspirational starting point, the design flows!

What inspires you?

People, culture, chairs (I have a thing for them), Interior design, travel, music, airports (I have a strange fascination with airports), conversations, sunny days, thoughts, ideas, "what ifs", the future.

Three things you couldn't live without?

Superficially...... makeup, iPhone and shoes

Realistically.......friends, family and hope

What are your favourite shoes from your winter collection?

I've been obsessed with the 'In the Parlours' this week. I love that they give a different look for each outfit I wear, they go the distance style wise.

What can we expect to see in summer?

Pink, fun playful shoes, platforms at a mid height that are so comfortable you will sleep in them, and some silver!

Do you believe in luck?

Nope. I believe in working hard and creating opportunities.

Quick fire five. I say, you say:

Love - Holidays

Success - it's a journey

Food - Italian every time

Music - Loving The Jezabels at the moment

Shoes - Can't get enough of them!

Now go, get to the website and see for yourself, the amazingness that is Chaos & Harmony.

1 comment:

Tell us what you think!...